The decision to buy a firearm is a big one. Understanding why you need one is key. Owning a weapon is a means to an end, so understanding the end is important, some of the common reasons are:
- Home Defense. You are worried about your family at home and want to make sure they are safe.
- Personal Defense. You are worried about those times outside of the house and want to make sure you are safe.
- Hunting. You want to take provide for your family and be closer to the process of providing for them.
- Competition. You want to build your skills in the difficult area of marksmanship.
- Recreation. Let’s face it, it’s just plain fun (as long as its safe) to get out with the boys and plink some targets.
These are all great reasons to own a weapon, but in each case, particularly for defense, you have to ask if:
- You have assessed the risks appropriately and ensured your security with other more inexpensive yet very effective means.
- You are thinking about the right tool for the job and that you have the time and ability to employ the weapon.